Medical assistants should know a variety of terms, procedures, skills, equipment management knowledge, and have strong communication skills.
Medical assistant programs will teach MA students skills allowing them to work in a variety of healthcare settings. Most often found in medical clinics, medical assistants work alongside doctors, nurses, patients, patient’s family, and the entire healthcare staff.
- Appointment scheduling, creating and maintaining medical records
- Medical billing and coding
- Examining patients
- Checking and recording vital signs
- Giving injections
- Drawing blood
- Preparing lab samples
- Administering medication
- Communicating with patients and their families
- Laboratory Procedures
- Patient Care
- Health Sciences
- Medical insurance
- Medical Billing, Coding, and Bookkeeping
- Cardiopulmonary and Electrocardiography
- Endocrinology and Reproduction
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Externship/Internship – Clinical Trial
Medical assisting, like other healthcare occupations, really does make a big impact and change lives. There is a reason that healthcare careers are rated highly as some of the most rewarding careers.
That said, Medical Assistants should know how to be empathetic and dedicated in order to excel and find meaning in this career.
Medical assistants will work directly with Physicians, Nurses, and other Healthcare staff to carry out a variety of administrative and clinical tasks. Depending on where you work your duties will vary.
Here are some of the most common things that Medical Assistants should know:
- How to interview patients to gather medical history, info, and vitals
- Prepping and giving treatment and medications as directed by physicians
- Sterilizing and cleaning medical equipment before and after procedures
- Communicating and explaining treatments, medicines, and procedures to patients
- Completing administrative responsibilities including but not limited to scheduling appointments, filing insurance, medical coding and billing
Questions Like What Should a Medical Assistant Know?
If you have any other questions similar to what should a medical assistant know, then ask our community in the comments below.